Georg Ernst Harzen

till March 11, 2012, Old building

Georg Ernst Harzen's donation in 1869 formed the first building block of the Hamburger Kunsthalle. Even today, it remains the center of the Prints, Drawings and Photography Department. Harzen (1790-1863) was an art dealer, collector and graphic arts connoisseur. He withdrew from business life in the 1850s and devoted all of his time to art historical research. The presentation will be held on the occasion of Dr. Silke Reuther's new biography on Harzen, which offers new insight into the business of art and collectorship in the 19thcentury.

Made possible through the generous support of

Zeit Stiftung

Hermann Reemtsma Stiftung

 

Go back